For hundreds of years, Catholics all over the world have made pilgrimages to holy places. An expression of faith and penitence, this tradition is especially meaningful during the season of Lent, when we are reminded of Our Lord’s sufferings on behalf of the Faithful. Here in Orange County we are continuing that tradition with a pilgrimage in honor of Our Lady and Blessed Junipero Serra. At 8:45 a.m., March 3, 2013 we will walk from St. Michael’s Abbey at 19292 El Toro Road in Silverado to San Juan Capistrano Mission Serra Chapel. The Pilgrimage will begin with a Benediction by the Norbertine Fathers at the Abbey and end with a Tridentine Latin Mass at Serra Chapel.
Important Information for those planning to join the pilgrimage:
This is a 14-mile walk! Be sure to wear comfortable, sturdy shoes. Don’t forget your Rosary!
1. Please plan to arrive at St. Michael’s Abbey between 7:00 am and 8:15 a.m. to drop off your family. Drivers must then proceed to San Juan Capistrano Mission to park their cars.
Vans will be available to shuttle drivers back to St. Michael’s. There will be no parking at the Abbey. Shuttle service will be on call after 8:30 a.m. at (714) 390-6188
2. You must register at the Abbey, or with an Una Voce officer if joining later, prior to participating in the Pilgrimage, and we ask for a small donation to help UVOC cover costs. You will also be asked to sign a liability waiver.
3. There will be vans available to pick up those unable to continue the pilgrimage throughout the day.
4. We will arrive at Serra Chapel in time for the 6 p.m. Mass which concludes at 7:30. Please dress in a manner appropriate for Mass (please wear modest clothes-no shorts. Dresses are suggested for the ladies).
5. Although there are places to purchase snacks etc along the way, Pilgrims must bring their own water and high-energy snack food, as well as lunch. Pilgrims should eat a good breakfast before the pilgrimage.
6. For more information contact Una Voce before the Pilgrimage at (562) 691-5246 or via e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. On the day of the Pilgrimage, call (714) 390-6188